Cinderella Tutu

Cinderella Tutu
www.etsy.com/shop/glittertulle

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Set Your Mind To It--And You Can Do It!

Y'all will recall that I have been pretty adamant about my lack of sewing skills. You will remember the post I wrote about how terrified I was of my sewing machine (read it here) and numerous other posts that mention I do not feel confident assembling a pattern or putting the peddle to the metal. Well, I decided a couple of weeks ago that I really wanted to learn how to make a sewn tutu.  I feel like I've mastered the tied tutu and though I'm sure I will come up with more inventive ways of creating tied-tutus, it was time to look at other areas where I could grow.  I started off with a basic tulle tutu with a satin ribbon at the top.  Then, I moved to a tutu with ribbon trim and a sash at the top.  Next, I made Lucy a pleated satin skirt with three layers of tulle and a satin sash at the top. Then, I found some really gorgeous black and white scrap fabric at Hobby Lobby, and the wheels in my brain started turning.
I wanted to make it in a size 3T because Lucy is starting to out grow her 2T's.  So, I measured her waist and then added an inch.  (I probably should have only added 1/2 an inch because it ended up being a little big.) Next, I cut a length of white satin wide enough to pleat and added 6 inches of pleated black tulle to the bottom. This is where I decided to get really creative.  I decided to cut that gorgeous black and white fabric in half. I could have just used it as it was as the top layer of the skirt and it would have been really pretty but I wanted this skirt to be extra-fabulous.  So, I cut it in half, hemmed it, and finished the side on each one that would be exposed.  Next, I pleated the satin and attached it to a waistband.  I centered each half of the black and white fabric, pleated it and attached it to the waistband. Next, I added the elastic waist. I measured white satin ribbon for both sides of the sash, sewed it on to cover the elastic and tied it in the front.
Then, I sewed up both the satin fabric and the cotton fabric in the back. Finally, I enclosed the satin sash at the top in the back to make sure the elastic was completely covered.  I also decided to sew all of it by hand because I'm still not comfortable with my sewing machine.
I can honestly say, it turned out almost exactly like I had imagined it would!

New black and white skirt

The side view shows the pleats very well

I pulled the top layer of fabric back so you can see the satin under-skirt
I'm really happy with how it turned out!


I think this is just a testimony to the fact that, you can do anything you set your mind to.  Maybe not as well as someone else might, maybe not as well as you would be able to someday, maybe not even quite as well as you thought you  could--but you can do it. If I can do this, you can do anything!
Fellow crafters and artists, I would love to know, what one creation are you most proud of?  What did you attempt thinking you didn't know if you could do it but then it turned out fantastic? I would love for you to leave a comment!
Also, next week is Ms. Lucy's 3rd birthday and she is gearing up for a giveaway!  Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment