Cinderella Tutu

Cinderella Tutu
www.etsy.com/shop/glittertulle

Friday, March 1, 2013

If Michael's Was my Boyfriend, Our FB Status Would Be "It's Complicated!"

An alternative title to this post would be, "Why I Love and Hate Michael's."  Let me count the ways. . . .

I love Michael's because it's usually open.
Unlike my actual favorite craft store, Hobby Lobby, Michael's is open the majority of the time that I would actually need to go to the store.  Hob Lob is open on Tuesdays from 2:25 until 4:20 and on Thursday mornings from 9:15 until 10:26 or something like that.  It's like the owners of Hob Lob thought, "When is it that people like to shop? Let's not be open then!" Michael's on the other hand is open at times real people need stuff.  Of course, there have been times when I really needed a craft store at 2:00 AM but that's kinda my problem, not the stores'.
I hate Michael's because if an item is not on sale, it's probably way over priced.
I could give a ton of examples of stuff I would never buy at Michael's because the small print essentially says, "Your first born child due at checkout," but the example that literally makes me queasy every time I see it is the tulle.  (Surprised? I look at tulle while shopping!?!) The prices you will pay for a bolt of tulle at Michael's are over three times what I pay from my supplier.  A 25 yard roll will cost you more than what I pay for a 100 yard roll and the 100 yard roll costs about what I pay for a bolt.  Why is it so stinkin' expensive?  I've used tulle from Michael's. It's not a higher quality tulle than what I get from my supplier. Is it made from the hair of fairies?  Is it found in the lining of dragon eggs? I really don't get it. If I could buy tulle from my supplier and sell it at the prices Michael's gets away with, I'd be filthy stinkin' rich.
Before you pay this $ for tulle--call me!

Seriously, it's physically painful to see this!

Maybe this is why so many people sell their tutus for three times more than I do!

I love Michael's clearance items.
When you can find a good deal on something at Michael's, it's like finding a four leaf clover--made of chocolate. (Which I can only imagine would be pretty darn tasty!)  For example, I found these little sparkly, plastic decorative items this evening in the scrapbooking aisle (see pic below).  I wouldn't normally be looking in that aisle because I haven't scrapbooked in years but I wandered through and saw them.  They are perfect for hair accessories and they were only 79 cents per package.  I thought that was a great deal so I bought a whole bunch.  They are going to look super cute attached to some little girl's piggy tails via various ribbons and tulle!
This is one of my favorites. Check out the penguin!

My entire stash!

My little ballerina is so getting some new hair clips!

I hate Michael's new coupon/email policy.
Now, you have to give the cashier your email address every time you check out so that they can personalize your coupons. They don't have a card anymore. Why they don't at least use your card so that they can easily read your email address is beyond me.  We all have to stand there and recite ridiculous email addresses in front of lines of people.  My email address isn't that bad, but I feel sorry for ms.snazzypants@hotmail.com  I mean come on, really?  And they never get it right the first 47 times.  It's a stupid policy and they just need to go back to the way it was before.
I love the aisles of inspiration.
Do you have any idea how many dozens  hundreds of craft projects I have started just because I saw something in Michael's? Michael's was Pinterest when Pinterest was just crafting-crack in the back of someone's brain.  Notice I said started and not finished, I'm trying to be honest here.  Still, I like seeing projects and being inspired.  I have actually finished a lot of projects that I embarked on because of Michael's too.
I hate the fact that coupons only work on---well, just about nothing.
If you've ever actually tried to use a coupon at Michael's, I need not explain further. If you've never tried to use a coupon at Michael's, go try it and see for yourself.  Don't bother to attempt to read the small print first because it essentially just says that this coupon isn't really good for anything. Occasionally I will get the 50% off one item coupon that is a total score but for the most part the coupons are not useful.
I love that they carry almost every color and size of t-shirt you can possibly imagine.
When you're in a pinch 'cause your mom/t-shirt supplier can only find pink in an XL and you need a medium, Michael's is your place to go.  Chances are, they've got it.
Michael's probably has the right color and size shirt you need for any project.

I hate the $1 bins.
I hate the $1 bins because I love the $1 bins.  And now there are the $2 bins which are a trick.  You think they are the $1 bins until you have the stuff you must have in your hands and then you realize they are the $2 bins and it's too late. It's in your hand--you bought it.
I love seeing stuff for a lot of money I know I can make much cheaper--and better.
You know the wreaths, floral arrangements, cheap tutus they have during the holidays? Yay, I can make that.  Cheaper.  Mine's better.  Totally awesome for me!
I hate that Michael's is closer than Hob Lob.
I would rather go to Hob Lob but Michael's is closer and they don't change the sign to closed when they see me coming. So, I go there more often.  And also, it's near Target.  Have I mentioned why I love Target? Ahh, that's another post.
What's your favorite craft store and what do you love or hate about it?


No comments:

Post a Comment