Cinderella Tutu

Cinderella Tutu
www.etsy.com/shop/glittertulle

Monday, January 28, 2013

More On the Felt Owl Masks

I feel like there is something very soothing about hand sewing felt. I'm not sure what it is but I find it very calming to just sit and sew this soft, fun material.  It doesn't bunch, it's not droopy, it doesn't drape over anything.  It just sits still and let's you mold it, let's you turn it into something cute and fun.  I am all for materials that are cooperative!
When I was asked to attempt an owl mask for a forest themed birthday party coming up in April, I thought, "Why not?  I am sure I can find something to use as a reference on Pinterest!" So I decided to give it a whirl.  I did find some useful photos on Pinterest, as well as some free patterns on other websites.  However, I ended up modifying these patterns and creating my own because I didn't love any of them and when I printed them out, they weren't the correct size anyway. I used a basic mask shape for the back ground, used a second color for the contrasting main portion of the face, and then used white for the eyes and gold for the beak.  Sewing it together wasn't difficult at all.  It was a lot of fun!  The only thing I realized once I had it put together was that the eyes just aren't big enough. I decided I would need to make them bigger next time.
The original owl mask

I thought the original owl mask was so cute, I decided to make a special Valentine's Day Owl Mask.  I made it the same way as the original, except I made the eye holes bigger. I also made them heart-shaped instead of circle like on the original owl. I added some more decorative stitches, too.
Valentine's Day Owl Mask

The heart-shaped eye

Who, who, who do you love?

Now that I am using my sewing machine (sort of!) I could probably get these done a lot faster if I used it to assemble them, but I am thinking I might continue to hand sew them.  Maybe if I had a large order I would do them on the machine, but, for now, if you order an owl mask for me, it's probably going to be hand sewn!

No comments:

Post a Comment