Cinderella Tutu

Cinderella Tutu
www.etsy.com/shop/glittertulle

Friday, July 12, 2013

The "Busy"ness of Business

For the first time since I opened my online boutique in October, I am starting to get so busy with orders that I cannot ship same or next day. This is a good problem to have, but it's also really stressful because it is part of my promise to my clients to ship quickly. I am still able to get things done and out the door within a few days but it makes me think about what I will need to do in the future, if the business continues to grow the way that it has in the last few months.  Again, a nice problem to have, but something to consider.
I've had a lot of orders for boas and rhinestone t-shirts the past few weeks, both of which are time consuming. They are almost always custom orders because I don't keep boas in stock and I only have a few t-shirts in stock left over from craft fairs in the fall. Generally speaking, the sizes/colors I have in stock are not exactly what customers are looking for so I end up making them.  So, this takes time. I am working on balancing the work that needs to get done, all of my social media and websites, my "real" job, and, of course, most importantly, my family. If you are considering placing an order, don't worry--most items are still shipping next day--but if you want a boa or t-shirt, please give me at least three days because I may need them.  I still think this is quicker than a lot of similar shops are able to fill custom orders, it's just got me thinking about the bigger picture.
A recent boa order for "2 Chics & a Photobooth" from Chesterfield , Missouri.  Photo courtesy of "2 Chics & a Photobooth. Several recent boa orders have been for grown up parties!

I've done a few tutus recently, too, like one for a sweet birthday princess in California who loves Tinkerbell as much as Lucy does. 

I would love to know how other small business owners or online shop owners balance all of these things. How do you determine how long it's going to take to get an order out? What do you do when you have a family obligation and an order?  I haven't come in to this particular problem yet but I'm sure it's coming.  Have you ever had to tell a customer it's going to take a bit longer than before?  I would love to hear your suggestions and feedback!
It's very exciting and amazing to be entering a new phase with Glitter and Tulle Boutique! I'm looking forward to making many more princesses happy for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment